As a state-of-the-art Level II Trauma Center, NCH's Emergency Department treated more than 57,000 people in 2013 – providing experience that makes a real difference in a life-threatening emergency. Because every minute counts when it comes to heart attack and stroke, our dedicated chest pain and neurointerventional teams are ready, 24/7, to treat patients with advanced technologies. NCH’s pediatric emergency care provides on-site access to board certified pediatric emergency doctors from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
Even in an emergency, your comfort and privacy are important to us. The NCH Emergency Department includes private rooms as well as specialty rooms for trauma, critical care, isolation and behavioral health.
Comprehensive and expert care
- Board certified emergency medicine physicians
- Emergency nurses with Trauma Nurse Specialist Certifications (TNS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certifications (PALS) or Emergency Nurse Pediatric Certifications (ENPC)
- Behavioral Health Specialists are available 24/7 in the Emergency Department to provide patients with mental health assessments, crisis intervention, and referrals to inpatient and outpatient mental health services or community resources
State-of-the-art facilities combined with advanced medical technology
- A Rapid Medical Evaluation area to reduce the amount of time a patient spends in the Emergency Department prior to being seen by a physician or midlevel provider and to improve the time to treat for patients being admitted to the hospital. The new Rapid Medical Evaluation process has significantly reduced wait times in the emergency department
- Two trauma bays and six critical care bays are designed an equipped to facilitate advanced intervention for trauma patients and critically ill Emergency Department patients.
- Pediatric Emergency Department staffed with pediatric emergency physicians from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago from 12pm - 1am each day
- 51 private treatment rooms to create a safe and healing environment for patients
- Each room is wired with computer technology so the medical team can immediately place needed orders and document items in the patient's medical record while with the patient
Outstanding patient satisfaction
NCH’s patient satisfaction scores approach the 90th percentile for Emergency Departments throughout the country
NCH Emergency Department Approved
for Pediatrics (EDAP) certification
NCH's Emergency Department has been recognized by the state of Illinois as an Emergency Department approved for treating children. The pediatric emergency staff is specially trained to care for children using child-sized equipment and following guidelines for weight-appropriate medications.