Awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, this four-year designation is the highest level of recognition that nursing services can obtain. The American Nurses Credentialing Center awards Magnet status to hospitals that exhibit exemplary patient outcomes and satisfaction, have impressive nurse-to-patient ratios, and attract and retain the best nursing staff.
- Magnet® Recognition for Nursing Excellence, 2015–2019
Only 7 percent of healthcare organizations across the country have earned Magnet status.
NCH has been ranked as one of the best hospitals in the state for 2014-2015 by U.S. News & World Report. Additionally, NCH is listed as "high performing" in 10 specialty areas. This annual ranking of Best Hospitals recognizes hospitals that excel in treating the most challenging patients.
- 2014–2015 is the fourth consecutive year that NCH has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
- #44 in the nation in the medical specialty of Ear, Nose and Throat
- NCH is listed as high-ranking in the specialty areas of cancer, ear/nose/throat, gastroenterology/GI surgery, geriatrics, gynecology, nephrology, neurology/neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology and urology
In 2014, NCH's cardiac rehabilitation program earned certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). In 2015, NCH's pulmonary rehabilitation program also earned certification from AACVPR. NCH was recognized for its commitment to improving the quality of life by enhancing standards of care.
- Certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonology Rehabilitation, 2015–2018 (Pulmonary Rehabilitation Distinction)
- Certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonology Rehabilitation, 2014–2017 (Cardiac Rehabilitation Distinction)
Healthgrades is a leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals, reporting on quality of care, patient safety and more.
- Patient Safety Excellence Award, 2015
- Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award, 2016
- Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award, 2016
- Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award, 2015, 2014
- Coronary Bypass Surgery Five-Star Recipient, 2016
- Treatment of Heart Failure Five-Star Recipient, 2016
- Cranial Neurosurgery Five-Star Recipient, 2016
- Treatment of Stroke Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013
- Colorectal Surgeries Five-Star Recipient, 2016
- Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries Five-Star Recipient, 2016
- Treatment of Bowel Obstruction Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015
- Treatment of GI Bleed Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015, 2014
- Treatment of Pancreatitis Five-Star Recipient, 2016
- Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015
- Treatment of Sepsis Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015
- Vaginal Deliveries Five-Star Recipient, 2015
- Hip Fracture Treatment Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015
- Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Five-Star Recipient, 2016, 2015, 2014
The Joint Commission is the nation's predominant standards-setting and accrediting body in healthcare.
- The Gold Seal of Approval®, 2014-2016, 2011-2013, 2006-2009
- Top Performer on Key Quality Measures, 2013
- Advanced Certification for Palliative Care, 2014-2015, 2012-2013
- Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Center, 2014-2016, 2012-2014, 2010-2012, 2008-2010, 2006-2008
NCH's Pediatric Emergency Department is designated as an Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP). Our EDAP offers a higher level of care by ensuring 24-hour physician coverage, a 75 percent or higher level of physicians who are board-certified in emergency medicine or pediatric emergency medicine, and a 75 percent or higher level of nursing staff certified in Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS), among other requirements. EDAP hospitals must also have equipment that takes into account the size and stage of development of children.
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP), 2014-2017, 2010-2014
The goal of the CAP Laboratory Accreditation Program is to improve patient safety by advancing the quality of pathology and laboratory services through education, standard setting and ensuring laboratories meet or exceed regulatory requirements. Upon successful completion of the inspection process, the laboratory is awarded CAP accreditation and becomes part of an exclusive group of more than 7,000 laboratories worldwide that have met the highest standards of excellence necessary to achieve laboratory accreditation.
- Laboratory Accreditation, most recent accreditation October 2013
Northwest Community Healthcare received this award for its organ and tissue donations through the Gift of Hope.
- Silver Medal of Honor for Organ Donation Efforts, 2012
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) Accreditation Program encourages hospitals, treatment centers and other facilities to improve their quality of patient care. Recognizing that cancer is a complex group of diseases, the CoC Cancer Program Standards promote consultation among surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, diagnostic radiologists, pathologists and other cancer specialists.
- Cancer Program 3-Year Approval with Commendation, 2014–2017, 2009–2011, 2006–2009
Awarded by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO), this three-year accreditation represents the highest level of quality care and patient safety achievable in radiation oncology.
- Radiation oncology accredited facility, 2014–2017, 2011–2014
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
Additional accreditations include: Computed Tomagraphy, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, PET, Stereotactic Breast Biopsy and Ultrasound.
Healthcare organizations designated as Blue Distinction Centers have demonstrated their commitment to quality care, resulting in better overall outcomes for patients. The 2014 Blue Star Hospital Report – based on the 2014 Annual Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) Hospital Profile – summarizes the results of quality and safety performance measures for 100 Illinois hospitals.
- Blue Star Rating, Blue Cross HMO, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
- Blue Distinction Center+ for Cardiac Care, 2016, 2015, 2009
- Blue Distinction Center+ for Knee and Hip Replacement, 2016, 2013
Our Echo Lab was one of the first in the area to be accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL), acknowledging our commitment to excellence and implementation of evidenced-based protocols.
- Echo Lab Accreditation, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2004, 2001
One of the first hospitals in the Northwest Suburbs to be accredited.
Get with the Guidelines® Stroke puts the expertise of the American Heart Association and the American Stroke Association to work for hospital teams, helping to ensure the care provided to stroke patients is aligned with the latest scientific guidelines.
- Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll
- 2015: Gold Plus with Target: Stroke Honor Roll
- 2014: Gold Plus
- 2013: Gold Plus
- 2012: Gold Plus
- 2011: Gold Plus
- 2010: Silver
The National Committee for Quality Assurance is a private, 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality. Since its founding in 1990, NCQA has been a central figure in driving improvement throughout the health care system, helping to elevate the issue of health care quality to the top of the national agenda.
- Level 3 Recognition - Patient Centered Medical Home for NCH Medical Group, 2014
Illinois Department of Transportation
- Illinois Heliport of the Year, 2015