Medical Services • Gastroenterology Services
The NCH Advantage • Technology
At the Northwest Community Hospital Gastroenterology Center, you'll find the most technologically advanced GI facility in Illinois—designed for you and your physicians. The latest technologies provide you with faster, safer and more accurate diagnoses for digestive illnesses like Crohn's disease, gallstones, GERD and ulcers, as well as quicker recovery times. For physicians, the Center provides the first and only teaching gallery for GI procedures in the state.
Less invasive and non-surgical procedures for accurate diagnoses and treatment of digestive disorders, safety and comfort, including:
- Very small, pill-sized cameras that when swallowed, painlessly transmit digital images from the digestive tract.
- A capsule that monitors and reports acid levels in the esophagus without a catheter.
- Virtual colonoscopies to check for colon cancer.
- Safer, less invasive alternatives to exploratory surgery for removing tissue samples.
- Advanced procedures to diagnose and stage cancers of the gastrointestinal tract.
- New non-surgical treatments to reduce risks of developing esophageal cancer.
- Non-surgical treatment of diseases of the pancreas and bile duct.
- Minimally invasive treatment of superficial gastrointestinal cancers.
Putting the latest medical advances to work for you
The Gastroenterology Center is continually investing in the latest technology to ensure that you receive the best and least invasive treatments for digestive disorders possible. These advances include:
- Two interventional suites with digital fluoroscopy.
- Two endoscopic ultrasound systems used to diagnose and stage cancers of the gastrointestinal tract and lung.
- HALO360 Ablation System Innovative, non-surgical treatment for Barrett's Esophagus, a pre-cancerous condition affecting the lining of the esophagus. HALO360 Ablation Therapy uses radiofrequency electrodes to remove or destroy pre-cancerous cells, thus reducing the risk of developing esophageal cancer.
- Nine procedure rooms equipped with advanced digital imaging systems with high definition technology; these systems are less invasive and provide a more comfortable method for diagnosing abnormalities within the digestive system.
Other advanced medical technologies for less invasive and safer treatments include:
Only gastroenterology teaching gallery in Illinois
NCH provides the only teaching gallery in Illinois where medical professionals come from around the country to learn advanced procedures for the treatment of digestive disorders like Crohn's disease, gallstones, GERD and ulcers. This leading-edge teaching gallery transmits live images around the world, so clinicians can continue to advance the science of healthcare, including:
- Advanced endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography to diagnose and treat conditions of the gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and liver.
- The SpyGlass System to facilitate physicians' access and visualize the bile duct for diagnostic and therapeutic applications.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) with fine needle aspiration for diagnosis and staging of tumors of the GI tract and lung.
- Endoscopic ultrasound—Guided procedures for pseudocyst drainage, plexus block and neurolysis.
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) allows removal of large polyps or cancerous lesions that have not broken through the muscle layer.
- HALO360 Ablation Therapy using the HALO360 Ablation System to destroy abnormal tissue in the esophagus and reduce the risk of esophageal cancer.
- Percutaneous gastrostomy and jejunostomy for placement of feeding tubes.
Make sure you're getting the best gastroenterology care in the Northwest Suburbs. Find a physician now or call 847.618.4YOU (4968) for a free physician referral.