Medical Services • Pancreas Care
Follow-Up Care for Pancreatic Diseases
Northwest Community Hospital is committed to providing pancreatic cancer patients with the best treatment in Chicago and making every part of your treatment for pancreatic diseases like pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer as comfortable as possible. Below, you'll find important information and resources to help you before, during and after your care at NCH.
Northwest Community Hospital holds monthly support and education groups. The support groups are hosted by our pancreas nurse navigator and cancer social worker to provide needed support that goes beyond your surgical experience.
On the road to recovery—taking care of yourself
- Nutrition—Many patients with pancreatic cancer symptoms do not feel like eating, especially when they are uncomfortable or tired. Try to eat four or five small meals a day of high-protein, high-calorie foods to control weight, maintain strength and promote healing. Some pancreas cancer patients may require a feeding tube for a while if they have problems swallowing.
- Physical activity—Staying physically active during pancreatic or hepatobiliary cancer treatment has many positive benefits. Physical activity stimulates the release of endorphins, a hormone that helps elevate mood, as well as decrease feelings of fatigue. Exercises can range from simple stretches done in bed to more active pursuits, such as walking or light gardening. However, don't push yourself too hard. Check with your doctor before attempting any physical activity to make sure you are up to it.
NCH provides a wide range of outpatient care options for people suffering from pancreatic cancer symptoms and other pancreatic diseases, including:
Additionally, our registered dietitians can provide personal counseling to help you establish an appropriate meal plan.
Other follow up services include:
- Financial assistance to eligible patients—Call 847.618.4542 for information
- Wheelchair-accessible courtesy van—847.618.6480
- Patient advocate—If you’d like to talk to someone about your NCH experience, call 847.618.4390 or email@example.com
If you or someone you love has pancreatic cancer, find out how you can get the best treatment in Chicago. Call HealthConnection for a referral to a doctor specializing in pancreatic or hepatobiliary diseases at 847.618.4968 (4YOU).