Medical Services • Women’s Health
Taking care of your reproductive system
Your body is complicated for a reason: there's a lot it has to do. With proper care and regular screenings, it can take you through life's many stages.
Make regular check-ups a habit
Every year, starting around 18 or earlier if you're sexually active, you should have a pelvic exam, a breast exam and a Pap smear. Your doctor may also screen you for anemia, cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid disease and other disorders common in women. To find an NCH gynecologist, click here. [link to http://www.nch.org/medical-services/maternity-services/staff.php#gyn]
Our physicians can also treat other common reproductive issues such as:
- Menstrual cycle problems
- Urinary and vaginal infections
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Uterine fibroids [link to nch.org/roboticsurgery]
- Osteoporosis [link to Womens > Osteo page]
- Menopause urinary incontinence
- Decreased libido
Get tested for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
If you are sexually active, you should learn about birth control and be tested for STDs. The most common STDs are HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, Chlamydia, genital warts and genital herpes; discuss with your doctor which ones you should be tested for. There is also a vaccine to prevent Human papillomavirus (HPV) that is recommended for girls and women ages 9-26. To make an appointment or find a gynecologist [link to http://www.nch.org/medical-services/maternity-services/staff.php#gyn], call 847.618.4YOU (4968).
NCH offers da Vinci® Robotic Surgery [link to nch.org/roboticsurgery] and other minimally invasive treatment options for many gynecological conditions
• Hysterectomy and gynecological cancers— da Vinci provides a superior surgical tool for hysterectomies, particularly for radical hysterectomies for gynecological cancer.
• Gynecological procedures—including the latest treatments for endometriosis, uterine fibroids, heavy uterine bleeding and uterine prolapse.
Because the da Vinci system allows surgeons to perform surgery through very small incisions, patients having da Vinci surgery may experience:
? Less post-operative pain and discomfort
? Less scarring and faster recovery
? Minimized blood loss
? Reduced risk of infection
? Shorter hospital stay
? Faster return to normal daily activities
? Better clinical outcomes
Download a brochure on da Vinci Surgery for the following conditions:
Da Vinci Surgery for Hysterectomy/Cancer - Hyst (Cancer).pdf
Da Vinci Surgery for Hysterectomy/Cancer (in Spanish) - Hyst (cancer-spanish).pdf
Da Vinci Surgery for Hysterectomy/Benign - Hysterectomy.pdf
Da Vinci Surgery for Hysterectomy/Benign (in Spanish) - Hysterectomy (spanish).pdf
Da Vinci Surgery for Uterine fibroids - Myomectomy.pdf
Da Vinci Surgery for Uterine Prolapse - Sacralcolpopexy.pdf
Take charge of bladder control issues
More than 15 Million American women are affected by urinary incontinence, the involuntary loss of urine. Many suffer in silence and never tell their physician. Urinary incontinence is, however, a treatable condition.
You may need a painless test called a urodynamic study if you suffer from one or more of these conditions:
• You are incontinent (leak urine)
• Your bladder does not empty completely
• You have uncomfortable symptoms, such as the frequent need to urinate
• Your urine stream is intermittent or weak
• You have persistent urinary tract symptoms
Using a multi-disciplinary approach, our physicians provide the latest in diagnostic testing and customized treatment to eliminate your incontinence. We follow treatment guidelines recommended by the National Institutes of Health, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research in treating urinary incontinence.
Treatment methods may include:
- Pelvic floor muscle strengthening [http://www.nch.org/medical-services/outpatient-rehab/locations.php]
- Behavior modification
Take care of yourself. NCH can help. To find a gynecologist [link to http://www.nch.org/medical-services/maternity-services/staff.php#gyn] or urogynecologist [http://nch.netreturns.biz/Providers/SearchResults.aspx?Matchall=ANY&Orderby=name&Specialty=Urogynecology], call 847.618.4YOU (4968).