The NCH Wellness Center offers the resources you need to build a healthier lifestyle. From personal training to group exercise classes, there is something for everyone. Click here to learn more.
Work It Out
Improve your heart health by adding some exercise to your daily routine
There are many reasons to include physical activity in your daily routine. In fact, regular aerobic exercise can improve overall health. It can help lower blood pressure, manage weight, improve cholesterol levels, and build strong bones.
Aerobic exercise gets the heart pumping and makes it and other muscles stronger. Since your breathing deepens as you work your muscles, this makes your heart beat faster and boosts the level of oxygen in your blood.
Want to incorporate more exercise into your daily routine? Here we offer some ideas to help you get moving:
Talk to the experts. Before starting an exercise program, check with your doctor. If you're learning a new sport, consider taking classes or working with a personal trainer.
Work more minutes of activity into your day. At the mall or grocery store, park at the far end of the lot. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Find activities you truly enjoy. Exercise is essential to a healthy heart, so choose something you can stick with.
- Do resistance training twice a week. Lifting weights or performing weight-bearing calisthenics, such as push-ups, builds lean body mass and reduces body fat, which can help reduce heart-disease risk.
- Recruit a buddy. You'll motivate each other to get moving.
- Exercise five days a week. At least 30 minutes of moderate activity five days a week or more is the current recommendation for good heart health.
- Buy a pedometer. Aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- Don't be a couch potato. Do something while you watch TV, such as riding a stationary bike or doing calisthenics.
Back to main page