A Cool Summer Treat
Fresh watermelon and low-fat yogurt turn a favorite summer snack into a healthy dose of fruit and dairy
Naturally sweet, juicy watermelon is the perfect fruit to freeze for a healthy summer treat. Paired with creamy
low-fat lime yogurt to mimic the watermelon rind, these chilly pops are refreshing on a hot summer day.
Frozen Watermelon Pops
6 c. (from a 4-lb. watermelon) large chunks of seedless watermelon
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 c. fresh blueberries or raspberries (optional)
4 6-oz. containers of low-fat key lime yogurt
1. Puree watermelon and sugar in a blender. Mix in berries, if desired.
2. Pour watermelon mixture into frozen popsicle molds or 3-oz. disposable paper cups, leaving about a half an inch at the top.
3. Place popsicles in the freezer for about an hour, or until mixture is slightly slushy but firm.
4. Gently top each popsicle with a scoop of lime yogurt.
5. Insert popsicle sticks or plastic spoons; freeze for at least three hours or until hard. Once frozen, store individually in plastic wrap or in a large zippered bag.
Makes 24 frozen pops (using 3-oz. paper cups).
Nutrition information per serving: 46 calories, 0.4 g total fat, 1.1 g protein, 10.1 g carbohydrates, 1 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium