1. Complete a high school volunteer application – The high school volunteer application consists of seven parts; application, medical release form, medical emergency treatment authorization form, background check authorization form (for those under 18), program guidelines form, confidentiality statement and volunteer reference form. All parts must be submitted in order for your application to be reviewed.
If you are interested in only volunteering during the summer break, please be sure to read the information about our Summer Program.
Completed applications can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com, dropped off to the Guest Services Department (near the Main Entrance) or mailed to:
Guest Services Department
Northwest Community Healthcare
800 W. Central Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
2. Upon receipt of your application, we will review it based on your interests and availability with our current openings. Please be sure to list if you are volunteering for a school requirement. If there is a match, we will contact you for an interview. We appreciate your understanding that as much as we would like to accommodate all applicants, we are not able to accept everyone. We keep applications on file for one year and review them as positions become available.
3. Volunteer interest interview – The interest interview is an opportunity for us to meet you and learn more about your interests. It is also an opportunity to learn about all the different volunteer opportunities we have at NCH so we can see if we can make a match! It lasts about 20-30 minutes. A volunteer position may be assigned to you during the interview depending on interest and availability.
4. Volunteer orientation – After acceptance into the program, you will need to complete the online orientation.
5. Complete all health requirements – Once you’ve completed the orientation guide, you will be required to complete all health requirements. These must be completed with your own primary physician:
- One-Step TB (tuberculosis) test. We will accept proof of test with negative reading, if within the last year.
- Proof of vaccinations (for those born after 1/31/1957) that includes Varicella (chicken pox), Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (measles), Mumps or agree to get the listed vaccinations.
- Proof of influenza (flu) vaccine during the flu season (usually August through March).
6. Background check – Once you’ve completed the orientation guide and health requirements, you will be required to complete a criminal background check. The cost of the check is covered by NCH.
7. Health clearance – If you are cleared from the background check, you will need to be cleared by Employee & Occupational Health.
8. Volunteer badge – Once you have been cleared by Employee & Occupational Health you will go to Human Resources to get your badge.
9. Schedule first day and training – After these steps have been taken and you have been cleared to volunteer, the Volunteer Department will work with you to schedule your first day and training. On your first day, you will need to purchase a NCH volunteer uniform, either a smock jacket or polo.
Get started today by completing the high school student volunteer application!