NCH among the top hospitals nationally for Stroke Care according to Healthgrades
NCH is one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care according to new research released by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.* NCH has received the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care for 6 years in a row (2017-2022). NCH was also recognized with:
- Neurosciences Excellence Award™ for 6 years in a row (2017-2022)
- 2022 Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award™
- Stroke Care Excellence Award™ for 6 years in a row (2017-2022)
- Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 6 years in a row (2017-2022)
- Critical Care Excellence Award™ for 4 years in a row (2019-2022)
Earlier this year, NCH was recognized with the 2021 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ and the 2021 Patient Safety Excellence Award™.
The hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care have demonstrated exceptional quality of care. From 2018-2020, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care Award have, on average 39.8% lower risk of dying than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.*
“Consumers can feel confident in the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care for their commitment to quality care and exceptional outcomes. The recognition helps provide peace of mind when selecting a place for care,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science at Healthgrades.
This achievement reflects Northwest Community Hospital’s continued commitment to the care of its community with top notch care in the field of neurosciences. The hospital is currently investing in new physical spaces and new physicians with specialties in both neuroendovascular care and neurosurgery, in partnership with NorthShore University HealthSystem. It is also utilizing the Viz.ai technology – a cloud-based artificial intelligence platform which enhances the power of NCH’s Stroke Center team through rapid detection and notification of suspected strokes, so specialists can make optimal treatment decisions.
“We are extremely honored to receive this prestigious award,” said NCH Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer Alan Loren, M.D., PhD. “Our mission to improve the health of our community has always been our number one goal which is accomplished by maintaining the highest possible quality at all times. That only happens when a highly dedicated multidisciplinary team of professionals all work together towards the same goal – putting the patient first at all times.”
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2018 through 2020 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2017 through 2019. Due to the highly variable impact of the pandemic on hospital outcomes, Healthgrades made the decision to exclude cases with a COVID-19 diagnosis from the 2020 data in order to preserve the statistical integrity of our models and fairly evaluate clinical outcomes at all hospitals. To view the complete methodology, please visit: https://www.healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology