Top pediatric emergency care for your child: NCH and Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago.
When choosing where to go when your child needs emergency pediatric care, remember this: Treating children is different from treating adults. The equipment needs to be smaller, the atmosphere soothing and family friendly—and most of all, the staff should have the pediatric emergency expertise to determine the right diagnosis and treatment quickly.
At the Northwest Community Hospital Pediatric Emergency Department, we specialize in treating children and families in an emergency. Our experienced pediatric emergency staff work with board-certified pediatric emergency specialists from Lurie Children's to provide the very best pediatric care for children of all ages, down to the tiniest newborn.
The NCH Advantage
- Dedicated Pediatric Emergency Department – Staffed with top pediatric emergency specialists from NCH and Lurie Children’s
- Designed Around Children’s Needs – Smaller medical equipment. Soothing, family friendly atmosphere. Pediatric staff who know how to calm children’s fears
- Reassuring Atmosphere – TV in every treatment area. Toys, games, and puzzles to keep your child happy and occupied
- Room for the Whole Family – Treatment areas spacious enough to hold families and all they bring with them, like strollers and car seats. Special, safe waiting area for siblings where they can read, play games, or watch TV
- Extended Hours of Operation – Open noon to midnight every day - Pediatric Hospitalists consults are available after-hours
Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
NCH's pediatric emergency department has been recognized by the state of Illinois for providing specialized emergency care for children. The pediatric emergency staff is specially trained to care for children using child-sized equipment and following guidelines for weight-appropriate medications.
Advanced facility designed for children
- Larger treatment bays to accommodate everything that families bring with them
- Comfortable seating for family members and safe, soothing décor
- Equipment and supplies uniquely fashioned to meet the needs of pediatric patients and their families
- Pediatric stretchers are even made to the same standards as cribs
- A television in every patient bay
- Toys, games and puzzles to keep your child happy and occupied
- A sibling waiting area
Animal-assisted therapy in pediatric emergency department
Specially trained dogs and their handlers bring children and families in the pediatric emergency department a welcome distraction and comfort while also reducing stress.