Flexibility can help your body reach its optimum fitness level, may play a role in injury prevention, and can even contribute to staving off conditions like arthritis and more serious illnesses. Let the NCH Wellness Center help you achieve your goals.
Here’s how it works: When you stretch a muscle, you lengthen the tendons, or muscle fibers, that attach it to the bone. The longer these fibers are, the more you can increase the muscle in size when you do your strength training. That means that a more flexible muscle has the potential to become a stronger muscle, too. In turn, building strong muscle fibers may boost your metabolism and your fitness level.
Flexible muscles also make everyday activities easier on your body and may decrease your risk of certain injuries. Common behaviors, like hunching over the computer, can shorten some muscles. That, along with the natural loss of muscle elasticity that occurs with aging, can set you up so any quick or awkward motion (lunging to catch a glass before it teeters off the table, for example) could stretch your muscles beyond their limit, resulting in a strain or a tear. What’s more, stretching may improve your circulation, increasing blood flow to your muscles. And having good circulation can help protect you against a host of illnesses, from diabetes to kidney disease.
- Personal Training-Let our trainers design an exercise and stretching program that will help you become stronger and more flexible.
- N-STRETCH™ Flexibility Training Program-Performed by a personal trainer who is specially trained as a Flexibility Technician.
- Pilates Reformer-Progressive workouts increase your flexibility by increasing intensity of stretch.
- Tai Chi-Gradually stretch your muscles by learning how to relax them through slow-motion movement.
- Miracle Ball-Improve flexibility through the Miracle Ball Method.
- Yoga-Increase your flexibility by stretching your muscles and joints.
One of the greatest benefits of water exercise is its effect on flexibility. Water is a welcome environment for performing stretches that might otherwise be difficult on land. Because the effects of gravity are lessened, you can move your joints through a wider range of motion and achieve long-term flexibility.
- Aqua Flex- A warm water class designed to improve joint range-of-motion, flexibility and balance.
- Aqua Arthritis-Following the guidelines of the Arthritis Foundation of America, Aqua Arthritis instruction emphasizes exercising at your own pace in the warm water therapy pool.