Beyond weight loss, exercise offers important benefits for diabetics. Exercise can lower your blood glucose level and help insulin work more effectively. Regular activity can lower your blood pressure and your cholesterol level, too. Exercise reduces stress levels and strengthens your heart, bones, and muscles, making your whole being healthier. It can also improve your circulation and help build or maintain overall flexibility. The Wellness Center offers many nutrition and fitness programs that can help you manage your diabetes.
- Personal Training-Wellness Center certified personal trainers will provide you with the expertise, motivation and accountability you need to incorporate exercise into your life.
- Nutritional Education-The food you eat is a key element of diabetes management.
- Resting Metabolic Rate Testing (RMR)-Learn exactly how many calories you need to consume each day with this medically-based breath test.
- Pilates-Pilates is a great way for people with diabetes to get moving because it helps improve flexibility, balance, and strength through gentle, fluid movements using your own body weight. Plus, new research from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (published Feb 2012) is supporting the role of resistance training in improving blood sugar control.
No diabetes management plan would be complete without services from the Reflections Spa:
- Signature Massage: Provides blood and oxygen circulation to the joints improving inflammation, using essential oils to penetrate the dermal layers to relax the nervous system; especially the hands and feet.
- Thai Massage: Providing the same benefits as a Signature Massage by using modalities of stretch and acupuncture points.
- Thai Herbal Bag Massage: Using heat, oil and medicinal herbs to penetrate deep into the joints to reduce inflammation.
- Reflexology Massage: The ancient Chinese practice of reflexology is a therapy focusing on the feet, and is a popular modern holistic therapy to relieve pain and stress. Reflexology massage therapists believe that different areas on your feet and hands correspond to other parts of your body, and massaging them stimulates your parasympathetic nervous system to heal itself.
- Hot Stone Massage: Heated stones are the vehicle to allow the penetration of oils and heat into the entire body.
- Hand & Foot Paraffin Treatment: We use paraffin oils and heated mitts for the hands and/or feet to reduce inflammation and stiffness.