Aside from working with your doctor on an ongoing plan primarily involving medications, one of the most important things you can do is exercise. Many people cite swimming, walking and yoga as favorites. The universal benefits of exercise in helping everyone feel better and improving overall health are well-documented. There is evidence that exercise may hold specific benefits for people with Parkinson's in staying active and relatively limber, and improving balance and motor coordination. Let the NCH Wellness Center help you achieve your goals.
- Personal Training-Wellness Center certified personal trainers can provide functional training rehabilitation and retraining for clients with Parkinson’s disease. They will work with you to design an exercise program that is safe, fun and effective.
- Pilates-Since all Parkinson’s treatment options can only slow progression of symptoms, keeping physically active is integral to living at one’s potential. The saying “use it or lose it” applies here. And since there is the obvious “mind-body” connection governing the symptoms of PD, the comprehensive Pilates method can offer the optimal environment to maintain neuromuscular movement potential. Our Pilates instructors will create a an inspiring environment and modify the Pilates repertoire as needed.
- Tai Chi-Did you know that the benefits of tai chi for Parkinson’s disease have been endorsed by the National Parkinson’s Foundation? According to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine, tai chi may improve balance and prevent falls among people with Parkinson’s disease. Tai Chi for Health is designed for those with chronic conditions, such as Parkinson’s.
The Wellness Center spa offers many services that help manage Parkinson’s symptoms:
- Signature Massage will contribute to body agility and strength.
- Deep Tissue Massage increases hormonal levels which may reduce tremors.
- Thai Herbal Massage uses medicinal herbs to penetrate into the sub-cutaneous layers of the dermis to allow healing and treat symptoms.
- Reflection of Energy Massage may help improve sleep patterns
- Myofascial Release reduces pain and inflammation of the fascia (soft tissue) system.