Our new 17-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit combines a home-like atmosphere with state-of-the art rehabilitation services to help patients recover from a hospital stay for an illness or injury. The goal is to help regain independence as quickly and safely as possible. Patients will receive focused and intensive therapy sessions-three hours a day, five days a week to improve strength, endurance, motor control, and stability. That means you might spend time walking, getting out of bed, cooking, tying shoes or buttoning buttons-practicing any skills that you need to master again. The average length of stay on the unit is 10-14 days.
Download a brochure
The NCH Advantage
- Seamless care - Located within the Hospital campus, NCH patients have access to rehabilitation specialists and services without having to travel elsewhere for care
- Individualized attention - The doctors, nurses, and therapists on staff are specially trained in rehabilitative and physical medicine, and provide around-the-clock care for patients on the unit. Our nurse-to-patient ratio is 1:4, so patients will receive the individualized attention that helps them to meet their daily rehab goals. Attentive care means you’ll lower your chances of being admitted-or readmitted-to a hospital due to complications
- Homelike conveniences and peer support - We offer private rooms with views of the Chicago skyline and free WiFi to make your stay with us comfortable. Our communal kitchen and dining area offers peer support and provides you the opportunity to share your experiences with others as you progress through your rehab stay
Treatments and Services
We specialize in treating patients recovering from:
- Brain injury
- Neurological disorders
- Spinal cord injury
- Cardiac disorders
- Pain syndromes
- Orthopedic conditions
- Amputation of limbs
- Physical disability
The NCH Team
Surrounded by experts and treated with care
Patients and their families will work directly with various professionals that make up the care team. Our staff is specially trained to provide rehabilitative care:
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors, also known as physiatrists, coordinate and supervise your medical care and rehabilitation plan
- Our rehabilitation nurses help you to reach your greatest potential, adapt to challenges and work toward a productive and independent life
- Physical therapists (PTs) focus on helping you improve your strength, endurance, motor control and stability
- Occupational therapists (OTs) work with you to accomplish daily living activities
- Speech therapists will help you improve your language skills
- Social workers serve as your advocate and a resource, and will coordinate your discharge
- Nutritionists are on hand to develop an eating plan tailored just for you and your condition
Dr. Sharma is the medical director of the NCH Rehabilitation Care Unit. He is a board certified physiatrist (physical medicine and rehabilitation).
Dr. Sharma earned his Doctor of Medicine Degree from the MGM Medical College University of Bombay, India and completed his residency at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital in Wheaton, Illinois.
The NCH Rehabilitation Care Unit is located on the Hospital campus, on the 7th floor of the East Pavilion.
To learn more about the unit, please call 847-618-6716.