Many people going through grueling cancer treatments are encouraged to rest and recuperate as much as possible. But evidence suggests people with cancer benefit from more exercise, not less, even during treatment. At the NCH Wellness Center, we offer many classes and opportunities to help you manage the side effects of your cancer treatment.
- Personal Training-Did you know that the Wellness Center employs trainers who are certified cancer exercise trainers (CET’s)? The American College of Sports Medicine in collaboration with the American Cancer Society (ACSM/ACS) developed this specialized certification. A CET designs and administers fitness assessments and exercise programs specific to their client's cancer diagnosis, treatment and current recovery status.
- Nutritional Education-Eating well may help you feel better during cancer treatment and it may make it easier to tolerate your treatments. Our Registered Dietitian (RD) offers education to help you ensure you are eating well and even enjoying your food. Our RD will offer realistic strategies that are tailored to your lifestyle and address your condition.
- Resting Metabolic Rate Testing (RMR)-Learn exactly how many calories you need to consume each day with this medically-based breath test.
- Pilates-Pilates can be used as an important part of maintaining wellness for those currently undergoing cancer treatments or those in recovery from cancer. Pilates is a low-impact physical fitness system that consists of a series of exercises that develop the body’s strength, flexibility, and control. Pilates exercises can be easily modified to suit your limitations and abilities.
- Yoga-While it's not a cure for cancer, yoga enhances physical and emotional wellness—and brings a peace many cancer patients had thought they'd lost forever.
Studies of massage for cancer patients suggest massage can decrease stress, anxiety, depression, pain, and fatigue. Many health care professionals recognize massage as a useful, noninvasive addition to standard medical treatment. Let our licensed massage therapist help you during your treatment:
- Signature Massage uses gentle touch and soothing strokes of massage to relieve tension and to soothe your nerves.
- Reflection of Energy Massage will strengthen your ability to cope with pain, discomfort and ailments caused by medication and symptoms.
- Raindrop Massage uses the healing benefits of numerous essential plant, flower and herb extracts to bring comfort and relief.