As an accredited Level III perinatal facility, NCH offers the latest in Maternal-Fetal Medicine for women experiencing high-risk pregnancies. Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians, or perinatologists, from NorthShore University HealthSystem work with attending OBs to provide the best care for high-risk mothers-to-be.
Private, comfortable antepartum rooms for high-risk mothers-to-be
- Six private, comfortable labor and delivery rooms featuring large bathrooms and showers for mothers experiencing pre-term labor, illness or hospital bed rest.
- Overnight accommodations for dad or support person.
- Medical equipment is fully integrated into room designs, leaving space for in-room procedures.
- Natural light, soothing colors and noise reduction based on studies of healing.
- Animal-Assisted Therapy available for antepartum patients.
Perinatologists from NorthShore University HealthSystem on call 24/7
Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians from the Centers for Maternal and Fetal Health (CMFH) of the NorthShore University HealthSystem are located on-site and do rounds every day.
- In the event of a high-risk condition, your attending physician may call a Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist for a consult.
- These specialists offer high-risk mothers at NCH a full spectrum of consultative, diagnostic and therapeutic services for both mother and fetus.
Maternal-fetal services include:
- Basic obstetric ultrasound
- Comprehensive obstetric ultrasound targeted for fetal birth defects
- Ultrasound screening for fetal chromosomal abnormalities (such as Down syndrome)
- Pulsed wave and color Doppler
- 3-D and 4-D ultrasound
- Rapid magnetic resonance imaging for fetal anomalies
- First trimester genetic screening
- Genetic testing (chorionic villi sampling and amniocentesis)
- Genetic counseling
- Biophysical testing (non-stress testing and biophysical profile)
- Fetal blood sampling and transfusion
- Fetal shunt surgery
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine consultation
- Neonatology consultation
- Pediatric specialist consultations in cardiology, surgery, urology and neurosurgery
- Perinatal family support