We are continuing our series with members of the NCH Community who want others to know their reason for getting their COVID-19 vaccine booster.
Name: James Petrusek
Title: Operating Engineer
Department: Plant Operations
Current hometown: Arlington Heights
Why I got boosted: I never hesitated to receive my booster because, to me, the potential benefits of the vaccine far outweigh any risks. There are several reasons I got boosted, but most importantly, I did it for my family. I want to ensure my family is as safe and healthy as possible. In addition, having extended family with compromised immune systems and other health issues, I do not want to place them at any greater risk. Second, I did it for the community. I like to enjoy my free time with friends and others in the neighborhood. I don’t want to jeopardize anyone’s health. Lastly, because I work at the hospital, I feel it is my duty to be as protected as possible to help keep our patients safe.
According to the Cook County Health Department, vaccination continues to be our best weapon against COVID and flu.
- Everyone 6 months and older is eligible to receive a COVID vaccine (1st, 2nd and 3rd doses) and a flu shot.
- COVID booster shots are recommended for everyone ages 5 and up.
- You can be vaccinated or boosted for COVID and vaccinated for flu at the same time.
Getting vaccinated and boosted strengthens the immune response to protect against severe symptoms or complications that could lead to missed work or school, lost income or benefit time, hospitalization or death
Vaccines and boosters are safe, effective, and have undergone—and will continue to undergo—the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history. You cannot get COVID or flu from the vaccines.
Where to find COVID vaccines and boosters and flu vaccines
- Call 847-618-0242 to schedule with NCH – and ask questions
- Find free vaccines at vaccines.gov or myshotcookcounty.com.
- Pediatricians’ or family physicians’ offices
- CCDPH mobile vaccination clinics (including at schools, events, churches, etc.)
- Cook County Health clinics and Federally Qualified Health Centers
- Pharmacies (for children 3 years and older)