Seamlessly integrated into the warm, family-friendly environment, our Level III NICU ensures that babies born prematurely or with serious illnesses need not be separated from their parents to get the specialized medical care they need. Parents and baby can stay together in a comfortable, private room and receive compassionate, expert care from some of the best board-certified neonatologists and specialists in Chicago. At the NCH NICU, you’ll find:
- A state-accredited facility that cares for premature newborns and critically ill infants of any gestational age.
- Board-certified neonatologists from the Chicagoland Children’s Health Alliance and specially trained neonatal nurses who provide 24-hour, on-site expert care to special care newborns.
- Common surgeries for conditions like patent ductus arteriosus or PDA that can be performed right in the NICU by expert pediatric cardiovascular surgeons and general surgeons from Lurie Children’s.
- The latest in Maternal-Fetal Medicine for women experiencing high-risk pregnancies.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians or perinatologists from NorthShore University HealthSystem work with the attending obstetricians and neonatologists to provide the best care for women experiencing high-risk pregnancies.
- Private NICU rooms for baby and family equipped with the latest medical technology, maximizing mother-baby safety and security.
- Advanced baby beds designed to reduce stress on premature babies.
- A social worker and discharge planner who help families prepare to go home with their infant when the time comes.
- Leading pediatric specialists, including pediatric surgeons, neonatal respiratory therapists and a neonatal pharmacist, who are available for consultations around the clock.