Building a health and wellness program for your employees
Health and wellness programs can take many different forms depending upon the organization. Generally speaking, the following five components are recommended:
- Annual health risk appraisals – Employees receive a health questionnaire and clinical tests for common risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, elevated blood sugar and more.
- Evaluation of group health results – The company receives a report on the overall health of its workforce to determine the areas of highest risk. (Individual results are confidentially reported to each employee.)
- Referral of high-risk persons for needed care – Employees with high-risk factors such as high blood pressure, obesity, high cholesterol, etc. are privately referred to physicians for follow-up.
- Targeted education and risk-reduction activities – Based on the group health assessment, specific wellness classes, workshops and training are implemented to target the most prevalent health risks. Risk-reduction activities may focus on smoking cessation, better nutrition, physical fitness and stress management.
- Ongoing support throughout the year – Full support from our occupational health and wellness team as well as a strong communication plan will help reinforce healthier lifestyles and promote greater employee participation.
Contact our Workplace Wellness Team at 847-618-5613 to discuss your needs and customize a program that is right for your organization.