We are continuing our series with members of the NCH Community who want others to know their reason for getting their COVID-19 vaccine booster.
Name: Stacey Bretz, BS, MT (ASCP)
Department: Blood Bank and Immunology Labs
Current hometown: Mount Prospect
Why I got boosted: There are several reasons why I have chosen to receive all the COVID Boosters available to me. First and foremost is my family. My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes and is susceptible to severe complications or death should she become ill with COVID. My mother has an autoimmune disease as well. I want to do my best to protect them from severe disease as much as I can. As a laboratory scientist, I have read the medical journals, CDC website and I believe in the science. The boosters have also given me a sense of security and the freedom to get together with friends and family in the safest way possible.
According to the Cook County Health Department, vaccination continues to be our best weapon against COVID and flu.
- Everyone 6 months and older is eligible to receive a COVID vaccine (1st, 2nd and 3rd doses) and a flu shot.
- COVID booster shots are recommended for everyone ages 5 and up.
- You can be vaccinated or boosted for COVID and vaccinated for flu at the same time.
Getting vaccinated and boosted strengthens the immune response to protect against severe symptoms or complications that could lead to missed work or school, lost income or benefit time, hospitalization or death.
Vaccines and boosters are safe, effective, and have undergone—and will continue to undergo—the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history. You cannot get COVID or flu from the vaccines.
Where to find COVID vaccines and boosters and flu vaccines:
- Call 847-618-0242 to schedule with NCH – and ask questions
- Find free vaccines at vaccines.gov or myshotcookcounty.com
- Pediatricians’ or family physicians’ offices
- CCDPH mobile vaccination clinics (including at schools, events, churches, etc.)
- Cook County Health clinics and Federally Qualified Health Centers
- Pharmacies (for children 3 years and older)